- Getting Started With Food Pics
- 5 Interesting New Moon Twilight Party Favors
- A Selection Of Useful Motion Picture Outlines To View
- Have You Purchased Yours Yet? Your Hybrid Car!
- Jeep Auto Body Parts: Hot Tips To Great Price Slash
- Extended Automobile Warranties - Benefit to Having them
- Business to Business
- Search Engine Marketing or Traditional Marketing?
- An Insider Gives Advice About The Right Medical Transcription Machine: Details About New Gear
- Pros and Cons of Different Breast Implants
- Computers and Electronics
- A Variety Of Definitive Motion Picture Summaries
- Pentaho as Open Source Business Intelligence
- In Search For The Best Blogging Platform, Go For It With Wordpress Direct
- Dating Matchmaking
- So, You Want To Know How To Win The Boyfriend Back?
- How Can I Get My Ex Boyfriend Back: The Best Way To Tell
- I Want My Ex Back: Tips
- Education and Employment
- Lower Energy Rates in New York Thanks to Deregulation
- A New Boy Starting - Will He Be Ok?
- Beginner Learning Spanish Online - Online Learn To Speak Spanish
- 4 Reliable Tips for Handling Twilight Party Disasters
- Get Movie Downloads Today And Enjoy The Awesome Choices
- Download Various Excellent Films To View Today
- Family and Community
- Real Secrets Of Manifesting
- Here is Some Relationship Problem Advice You Can Actually Use
- How To Stop Divorce
- Health and Personal Care
- Is The Pain Killing You - Natural Ovarian Cysts Remedies For Pain Control
- The Greatest New Diet: The Acai Berry
- A New Plan For A Refreshing Life- Vitamins Capsules And Vitamins Plus
- Home and Garden
- A Simple Solution To Make Home Made Solar Cells
- Home Improvement Tips For A Return On Investment
- Unique Christmas Gift Baskets To Help You Get Started On Your Holiday Shopping
- Legal and Financial Services
- Can You Make Money With Interest?
- Affordable Georgia Auto Insurance -- Use This For Big Discounts
- Four Simple Steps to Save Money When you Buy a New Vehicle
- Network Marketing Could be the Key to Success in a Sluggish Economy
- Great Ways to Boost Sales
- Your New Pet Guinea Pig - What You'll Need to Take Care of It
- Training a Cat to Use the Toilet
- Great Ways to Boost Sales
- Real Estate and Rentals
- The New Loan Modification Plan For America
- Selling a Home Read This Helpful Information
- Pondering a New House: New Construction or Existing?
- Shopping and Specialty Stores
- Bride Shoes With Fashion Sense
- Bohemian Clothing: New Fashion Style
- Hawaiian Tiki Gifts
- Sports and Recreation
- The Best Fishing Lures To Trap The Fish
- You Will Find A Big Choice Of Cheap Golf Accessories Online
- Golf Cart Accessories - Comfort Or Functionality
- Travel and Transportation
- Save Money On an Orlando Vacation
- New Zealand North Island Travel Guide
- Choose Cheap New York Hotels to Enjoy Your Holiday
- Enhance Your Future With Past Therapy
- New Mexico Restaurants - A Count Down
- Do You Know The Personal History Of Your New Landlord?
Why To Eat Nuts
By Cristian Truers Published: 11/02/2009
Nuts are tasty, loaded with good fat, protein, fiber, nutrients and phytochemicals that are heart healthy and potentially good for the waistline. Barring allergies, there aren't many reasons not to include nuts in your diet. Let's take a look at some interesting studies, tips and tidbits about nuts.
Nuts and the Heart
A study of 31000 Seventh Day Adventists that ate nuts more than 4 times per week were half as likely to die of a heart attack than those who ate nuts less than once a week. The Iowa Women's Health Study came to a similar conclusion: Women who ate nuts or seeds 4 times per week were 40% less likely to die from heart disease than similar women who didn't eat nuts. The Nurses' Health Study showed that those who ate at least 140g/week of nuts were 35% less likely to be diagnosed with heart disease than those who ate less than 30g/month. Nuts and Weight
Most studies have shown that adding nuts to the diet does not cause people to gain much weight, if any at all. As an example, researchers gave participants 45-70g of almonds every day (320 calories worth) and gave them no further instructions about food intake. After 6 months, participants gained a very miniscule amount of weight (.2 lbs in women, 1.4 lbs in men). This study was funded by the almond industry.
There aren't many studies that show nut consumption to help people lose weight, but one study showed that a low calorie diet that included almonds led to greater weight loss than an equal calorie diet that did not include almonds.
The Seventh Day Adventist and Nurses Health Study showed that those who regularly ate nuts weighed less than those who did not.
The Best Nuts
Are some nuts better than others when it comes to health benefits? All nuts contain good fats, fiber and proteins, but different kinds of nuts have different nutrient profiles.
Almonds are richest in vitamin E (35% recommended daily intake) and calcium (8%) per 1 oz. (30g) serving. Brazil nuts are highest in selenium with just 1 supplying a days worth. Cashews are richest in copper and zinc Peanuts (technically a legume) contain the antioxidant resveratrol, and are highest in protein and arginine content Walnuts have the most alpha linolenic acids (plant-based omega-3's) How much?
Nuts are healthy but are a dense source of calories. 1oz/30g of nuts supply about 170-180 calories. Here is a chart that shows how many nuts are in 30g.
Number of Nuts in 30 grams (1oz)
Almonds: 20-24 Brazil nuts: 6-8 Pecans: 18-20 (halves) Cashews: 16-18 Pine Nuts: 150-157 Pistachios: 45-47 Walnuts: 8-11 Hazelnuts: 18-20